10 Classic Dance Songs that Never Get Old
The mark of a good wedding reception playlist is if, at the end of the night, everyone can agree that the music was amazing. It may seem daunting to marry several decades of music together, but some songs are timeless and impossible to dislike.
If you decide to hire a DJ for your wedding reception, you don’t have to worry about making sure the playlist has a wealth of variety. However, if you’re making the playlist yourself, you want to be mindful of every generation present at your event.
One easy way to make sure you please all of your guests is to ask for song requests on the invitation. This way, you can make sure you get everyone’s favorite song somewhere on the wedding reception playlist. Another way to make an incredible playlist is to stock it with classic songs.
Here are a few guaranteed crowd pleasers to add to your wedding reception playlist.
Ten Classic Songs for your Wedding Reception
1. “What I like about You” - The Romantics. This ageless song can please both your oldest guests and your youngest guests. With its playful nature and fast tempo, it’s perfect for dragging people back to the dance floor.
2. “ABC” - Jackson 5. Baby Michael’s infectious energy is sure to wake up even the sleepiest crowd, and the bouncy melody will have everyone out of their seats.
3. “Just Can’t Get Enough” - Depeche Mode. This quirky song straddles the line between mainstream and hipster music. It’s an upbeat song perfect for the gaps between dance songs and slow jams.
4. “Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I’m Yours)” - Stevie Wonder. No one can resist dancing to this Motown classic. With timeless lyrics and a smooth sound, this song is a real crowd pleaser.
5. “Take on Me” - A-Ha. Perfect at any point in your wedding reception playlist, but exceptional as part of the ending line up. This song is guaranteed to keep the party energy going.
6. “Endless Love” - Diana Ross & Lionel Richie. Sang by the Queen of Motown and a perfect ballad, this is another 80s song that should have a spot on your playlist.
7. “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” - Queen. This punchy 80s song is an absolute crowd pleaser. It’s nostalgic for those who know the song, and a pleasant treat for those who haven’t.
8. “This Is How We Do it” - Montell Jordan. A classic, old-school jam with smooth vocals and an infectious beat. You can’t go wrong with this 90s classic.
9. “You Shook Me All Night Long” - AC/DC. Just hearing the name of this song makes you want to start dancing and singing. Imagine what it will do for your reception crowd!
10. “How Will I Know” - Whitney Houston. Who can resist this youthful, relatable tune? If this song isn’t on your wedding playlist, it needs to be.
Confession time. I danced to every one of these songs as I was compiling this list. If you don’t do the same when you listen to these songs, I’d go to the hospital because you may be missing a pulse!
No matter the generational make up of your wedding reception guests, playing these ten songs is a surefire way to please everyone in attendance.